Here is a list of summer assignments I found on the web.
- Here, here and one and here gives you a list of early US vocabulary and several possibilities to use it.
- This one uses the Zinn book (in its entirety) as well as the Amscoe US history (I love this book) text.
- This one is nice as all of the resources you need are linked and includes excerpts to early American readings, as well as a map question and gives the students several choices.
- There are also several ones that have students read selected texts such as this one, this one, this one, this list of historical fiction, and here is a list of lots of examples.
- To see more assignments, go here.