Friday, March 18, 2016

Selma-to-Montgomery March: Your Teacher's Toolkit

Here are some great resources to use with your students to begin to drill down to study the 1965 Selma-to-Montgomery March for voting rights.

A good short general introduction is from the National Park Service (because the route is now a National Historic Trail).  Click here and here.  You can also find a longer, more developed essay here from Stanford University's King Encyclopedia.

There are a wide range of excellent video resources.  Here is a sampling.  This short video (6:37) is an excerpt from the PBS "Eyes on the Prize" video series:
This video (1:53) is from UCLA's Hearst Metronome News Collection:
Finally, this video (10:44) from the LBJ Library shows President Lyndon Johnson discussing his meeting with Alabama Governor George Wallace one week after Bloody Sunday

2 comments:

Paulina Cameron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paulina Cameron said...

I am not a history teacher, I just love history. That’s why whenever I have time I look up interesting facts about what I am about to teach my students. I can really use the information you have so generously shared here. There have been reading activities on the topic of racial segregation and I think your material will be a perfect completion of it. If anyone is interested, as a post-reading activity I am going to give professional case study writing for my students to learn how to develop their writing skills. Thanks again for the material.